• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Kill Switch - Reviews

This is some funny stuff guys - I won't be purchasing KS as I haven't really enjoyed the latest offerings from the once great Seagal for about 8 years now. I watched Marked For Death the other night and think it's sad that an 18 year old movie is so much better than ALL of his recent output. It's not even like he's making bad movies these days to keep the wolves from the door - the guy is worth a fortune. It just seems like he's making these movies to pad out his back catalogue rather than broadening his horizons with things that challenge him as an actor and a martial artist. I'd rather see one great movie than ten poorly shot, badly edited, stupidly dubbed, laughably doubled, lazy efforts of 'movies' that, in my opinion are nothing more than an insult to the fans who pay good money for them only to be disappointed over and over again. UJ and PW were OK, but they were by no means great and compared to something like MFD, they are nothing. Littledragon - it's telling that your signature pic shows Seagal in classic poses from his four earliest (and by far his best) movies - ATL, MFD, HTK and OFJ. Nothing he has done since has come close to bettering them. I don't need to watch KS, because I can already imagine how bad it will be!
 

rastafari

Well-Known Member
GlimmerMan;189966 said:
This is some funny stuff guys - I won't be purchasing KS as I haven't really enjoyed the latest offerings from the once great Seagal for about 8 years now. I watched Marked For Death the other night and think it's sad that an 18 year old movie is so much better than ALL of his recent output. It's not even like he's making bad movies these days to keep the wolves from the door - the guy is worth a fortune. It just seems like he's making these movies to pad out his back catalogue rather than broadening his horizons with things that challenge him as an actor and a martial artist. I'd rather see one great movie than ten poorly shot, badly edited, stupidly dubbed, laughably doubled, lazy efforts of 'movies' that, in my opinion are nothing more than an insult to the fans who pay good money for them only to be disappointed over and over again. UJ and PW were OK, but they were by no means great and compared to something like MFD, they are nothing. Littledragon - it's telling that your signature pic shows Seagal in classic poses from his four earliest (and by far his best) movies - ATL, MFD, HTK and OFJ. Nothing he has done since has come close to bettering them. I don't need to watch KS, because I can already imagine how bad it will be!
if i were you i wound not watch KS its not worth watching and i wont buy it when i comes out(ONLY OTHER FILM IVE NOT BOUGHT IS ATTACK FARCE)

i do think that both PW and UJ are good films and i prefer them to some of seagal earlier films like HPD,FDB AND PATRIOT
 

rastafari

Well-Known Member
GlimmerMan;189977 said:
HPD is pretty bad, but I kinda liked Patriot and FDB!
theres different reasons why i hate them

HPD-i hated it when it came it out and although its grown on me a bit i will always think of it as seagals last theatrical release and what a poor choice he made after EW

FDB-i know alot of fans like it but i hate the film..the fights are badly edited,the plots boring,seagal looks bored and also for me its the film the killed seagals career and he never recovered after this

PATRIOT-i have only seen it once but i hate to say its once of the most boring films i have i ever seen...infact along with BD,AF and KS this is seagals worst ever
 
rastafari;189980 said:
theres different reasons why i hate them

HPD-i hated it when it came it out and although its grown on me a bit i will always think of it as seagals last theatrical release and what a poor choice he made after EW

FDB-i know alot of fans like it but i hate the film..the fights are badly edited,the plots boring,seagal looks bored and also for me its the film the killed seagals career and he never recovered after this

PATRIOT-i have only seen it once but i hate to say its once of the most boring films i have i ever seen...infact along with BD,AF and KS this is seagals worst ever
Rasta, I agree with you on HPD but not FDP and The Patriot! I think that Fire Down Below was a decent film and it may have been the final nail in his theatrical coffin but I think On Deadly Ground (another decent film) was the real killer. ODG was critically panned and a dud at the box office followed by a similar themed Fire Down Below! FiDP had no chance after ODG...

I couldn't agree more on Half Past Dead! I was excited when I went to theaters to see HPD after the awesome return to form that was EW!! To find that Seagal had gained 60 lbs in a couple of months and had lost all interest in making a decent movie was infuriating! It has since grown on me as well but I don't think he will ever get it together to make another truly great film! Sure PW, ITS and UB are decent STV films but nothing compared to his earlier work!

The Patriot may have been slow but I'd take a slow movie with no fights over a Seagal movie with an incoherent script, doubing, doubling, etc

Clement
 
He did not put on 60lbs between Exit Wounds and Half Pat Dead. Look at the last scene in HPD when he talks to Ja Rule, He is wearing almost the same suit from the begining of Exit Wounds. I think he got way to much attention for losing weight in Exit Wounds(he looked good but still had a few to go and was doubled alot in this movie). All in all if he only made 1 bad movie I would say it aint his fault but after so many bad descions I think he really just wants the money(and I don't blame him and will rent Kill Switch even if it is bad).
 

rastafari

Well-Known Member
The Phoenix;189981 said:
Rasta, I agree with you on HPD but not FDP and The Patriot! I think that Fire Down Below was a decent film and it may have been the final nail in his theatrical coffin but I think On Deadly Ground (another decent film) was the real killer. ODG was critically panned and a dud at the box office followed by a similar themed Fire Down Below! FiDP had no chance after ODG...

I couldn't agree more on Half Past Dead! I was excited when I went to theaters to see HPD after the awesome return to form that was EW!! To find that Seagal had gained 60 lbs in a couple of months and had lost all interest in making a decent movie was infuriating! It has since grown on me as well but I don't think he will ever get it together to make another truly great film! Sure PW, ITS and UB are decent STV films but nothing compared to his earlier work!

The Patriot may have been slow but I'd take a slow movie with no fights over a Seagal movie with an incoherent script, doubing, doubling, etc

Clement
thats what i mean about FDB...having already done the theme in ODG(which was panned) why another film like it.for me seagal should have been doing exit wounds type films aroud 1996-97 and it would be interesting to see why his career would be now.

i think ITS,UJ and PW are more interesting films than some of seagals mid 90s work and in fact i have watched those 3 films more than even ODG.

the thing is he will NEVER do a film has good has the first 5 again no matter the budget as even with EW(which i like) he had a great cast,joel silver,good director and 40M budget yet it was still not has good has his early films.i think the fans should except that if he does STV then UJ is as good as it gets..sadly though he dosent do films up to PW and UJ and thats why the fans get pissed cos theres not reason why seagal could not produce films of UJ quality and films like KS and AF to me are unacceptable
 

rastafari

Well-Known Member
Dmoj;189993 said:
He did not put on 60lbs between Exit Wounds and Half Pat Dead. Look at the last scene in HPD when he talks to Ja Rule, He is wearing almost the same suit from the begining of Exit Wounds. I think he got way to much attention for losing weight in Exit Wounds(he looked good but still had a few to go and was doubled alot in this movie). All in all if he only made 1 bad movie I would say it aint his fault but after so many bad descions I think he really just wants the money(and I don't blame him and will rent Kill Switch even if it is bad).
rent it has its almost unwatchable...dont buy it unless you really have to

the reason he was doubled in exit wounds is cos he was injured on set

also compared to recent films he was not doubled that much but EW had a 3 month shoot compared to PW 17 days so he is gonna be on screen more in EW
 
KS is barely watchable and only for a Seagal fan.

FDP - I don't think fire down below had a chance after ODG. I think that whatever came out after ODG was doomed as the general public had lost interest in Seagal because of ODG. And I don't know exactly how much weight Seagal gained between EX and HPD but he did gain weight. It was one of the first things I noticed as he looked so good in EW. Almost all the reviews that came out at the time commented on his weight gain since EW.
 

rastafari

Well-Known Member
The Phoenix;190010 said:
KS is barely watchable and only for a Seagal fan.

FDP - I don't think fire down below had a chance after ODG. I think that whatever came out after ODG was doomed as the general public had lost interest in Seagal because of ODG. And I don't know exactly how much weight Seagal gained between EX and HPD but he did gain weight. It was one of the first things I noticed as he looked so good in EW. Almost all the reviews that came out at the time commented on his weight gain since EW.
he should have waited after EW for a decent offer to be made to him but he took the first offer from franchise pictures(renowned for making poor films) and made HPD and TF and the rest is history
 
rastafari;190011 said:
he should have waited after EW for a decent offer to be made to him but he took the first offer from franchise pictures(renowned for making poor films) and made HPD and TF and the rest is history
Yeah I will second that one!!! I know all to well about Franchise Pictures and the stupid decisions they used to make! They released HPD the same day as Harry Potter for god sakes and let's not forget Battlefield Earth! That was almost as big a disaster as Waterworld!! :D I think that if Seagal had held out for a decent offer after EW and had kept in shape then he would still have theatrical releases. Probably low budget for theater standards (20-30 million) with fall releases and probably a movie every other year!

It's a hard call though because I do love the big man and did enjoy ITS, BOTB, UR and PW. I'd rather see 3-4 movies a year with lower standards then none!!! Let's just keep our fingers crossed for Ruslan!
 

rastafari

Well-Known Member
The Phoenix;190027 said:
Yeah I will second that one!!! I know all to well about Franchise Pictures and the stupid decisions they used to make! They released HPD the same day as Harry Potter for god sakes and let's not forget Battlefield Earth! That was almost as big a disaster as Waterworld!! :D I think that if Seagal had held out for a decent offer after EW and had kept in shape then he would still have theatrical releases. Probably low budget for theater standards (20-30 million) with fall releases and probably a movie every other year!

It's a hard call though because I do love the big man and did enjoy ITS, BOTB, UR and PW. I'd rather see 3-4 movies a year with lower standards then none!!! Let's just keep our fingers crossed for Ruslan!
i think ruslan will be good for the simple reason that insight will make sure the edit is up toi stratch this time...after flight of fury and attack force was changed by sony in post production they(and got bad reviews from seagal fans) made sure that PW and UJ were of a better standard and left the edits to the directors

the thing is ruslan not the next film its LN which im sure is gonna be dreadful TBH
 
rastafari;190107 said:
i think ruslan will be good for the simple reason that insight will make sure the edit is up toi stratch this time...after flight of fury and attack force was changed by sony in post production they(and got bad reviews from seagal fans) made sure that PW and UJ were of a better standard and left the edits to the directors

the thing is ruslan not the next film its LN which im sure is gonna be dreadful TBH
I feel better about Ruslan already! I guess we should see Ruslan surface online in 4-5 months...

I'm not sure about the keeper though! who is producing? not nu image?

I didn't think Seagal really had much of a role in last night? There is hardly any info online LN regarding the release date, plot, etc. that I can find anyway... it will probably take 5 years to come out like the onion movie.
 

rastafari

Well-Known Member
The Phoenix;190114 said:
I feel better about Ruslan already! I guess we should see Ruslan surface online in 4-5 months...

I'm not sure about the keeper though! who is producing? not nu image?

I didn't think Seagal really had much of a role in last night? There is hardly any info online LN regarding the release date, plot, etc. that I can find anyway... it will probably take 5 years to come out like the onion movie.
LN comes out in january 2009 i think and seagal has about a 15 minute role

ruslan will be out(at a guess) in may 2009...maybe a screener in feb/mar

i think THE KEEPER is millennium pictures but im not sure
 
Having Millenium involved gives me a little hope. I have still not seen KS but will no doubt watch it as I guess I will just have too. I also have soft spots for HPD and FDB but still hate AF so I just hope that my own taste wont allow KS to be as bad as AF, please god dont let it be so.....
 

lee nicholson

Well-Known Member
On paper KS sounds good, but the problem is, that it's just as shoddily put together as AF. But given that AF was drastically re-written, and KS wasn't, they both employ extensive use of doubles, dubbing and generally allround confusing plot elements.

And Seagal wrote KS.....so go figure?
 
I know and I do fear the worst for KS but what are us die hard fans meant to do (we cant give up, that just isnt very John McClane now is it! does anyone know when it goes on general release over in the UK? I have tried to download a number of times but my PC is crap and has given up the ghost and I dont know anyone who could gt it onto a dvd and send to me via post.