• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Driven To Kill - Reviews

#21
Oh, I see! Music, how can I talk you... Well, 50|50, I think so, but the "salt of the actions" in fights, dialogues and interesting, dinamic and fast scenes, which're also nice...
 

Kotegashi

Master Of Disaster
Staff member
#22
As others already disected the movie and there's not much to add to their analysis I'll just rate the movie:

7,5 out of 10. Brutal action, everybody puts in an effort and it gives results.

Peace
 

Kotegashi

Master Of Disaster
Staff member
#26
bellyofb;197229 said:
@Kotegashi and LittleDragon. Are you guys doing a trailer for us? :)
Not any time soon, I'll be out of town for about a week.

Maybe, by the end of next week I'll have some time to work on a trailer.

Peace
 

hofmae

New Member
#27
Review

First Words:
Ok, this movie was cool. Nothing extra ordinary, and i still liked some DTV's better than this one, its million times better than crap like FOF, AF, KS and other movies like that...

Story:
Story is great. Simple, straight and fits for Steven Seagal. One Man out for Revenge. Great. No negative points.

5/5

Action:
Well the Action in general is well done. Great shootouts, good editing, and it don't looks cheap. Sure, some things could have been better, but for a DTV everything was pretty good!

4/5

Fights:
Yeah, well this is a big thing here. There are enough fights to please all fans, the amount is good, also the editing is much much better than in Kill Switch. But still a bit too much close-ups for me! Also one thing i didn't liked was, that the fights aren't typical Seagal Style. I really love Aikido based fights, and here it was more like "I punch you 10 times and then i take something that lies around and put it into your skin". But it was ok, the fights were entertaining, and could be much worse.

3.5/5

Stunt Doubles:
Yes, there were stunt doubles, but i couldn't see them that well. Pretty ok.

4/5

Acting:
The acting was good. All actor's were pretty good.

4/5

Humor:
Only average. Not much Seagal One-Liners, only a few. Was ok.

3/5

CGI_Effects:
not much, just some muzzle flashes in the shootouts, looked OK.

4/5


Cinematography/Look/Editing:
Pretty, pretty decent. No really bad cuts, and also what the DOP made of the boring cheap backlots was really cool, thumbs up!

4/5

Music:
Total average. The drunk vodka music was not bad, but also not good. The rest of the film was OK, but nothing special.

3/5

Overall Rating:
Pretty entertaining. If the next movie has more typical Seagal Fights and some more cool One-Liners i can give 5 Points... Let's wait for The Keeper now ;-)

Ill give it 4/5
 

DiDa

Super Moderator
Staff member
#28
I've also seen the film and I think it's the best Seagal dtv yet. Seagal looks good, the fights are great and the story isn't boring (not as in some other dtv flicks of Seagal). The DOP did a good job. It feels like we're in the 80's again. I'm so happy Seagal finally made a real entertaining movie. Like this, we haven't seen them in a long time!
Let The Keeper be also this good!
 
#30
hofmae;197255 said:
First Words:
Ok, this movie was cool. Nothing extra ordinary, and i still liked some DTV's better than this one, its million times better than crap like FOF, AF, KS and other movies like that...

Story:
Story is great. Simple, straight and fits for Steven Seagal. One Man out for Revenge. Great. No negative points.

5/5

Action:
Well the Action in general is well done. Great shootouts, good editing, and it don't looks cheap. Sure, some things could have been better, but for a DTV everything was pretty good!

4/5

Fights:
Yeah, well this is a big thing here. There are enough fights to please all fans, the amount is good, also the editing is much much better than in Kill Switch. But still a bit too much close-ups for me! Also one thing i didn't liked was, that the fights aren't typical Seagal Style. I really love Aikido based fights, and here it was more like "I punch you 10 times and then i take something that lies around and put it into your skin". But it was ok, the fights were entertaining, and could be much worse.

3.5/5

Stunt Doubles:
Yes, there were stunt doubles, but i couldn't see them that well. Pretty ok.

4/5

Acting:
The acting was good. All actor's were pretty good.

4/5

Humor:
Only average. Not much Seagal One-Liners, only a few. Was ok.

3/5

CGI_Effects:
not much, just some muzzle flashes in the shootouts, looked OK.

4/5


Cinematography/Look/Editing:
Pretty, pretty decent. No really bad cuts, and also what the DOP made of the boring cheap backlots was really cool, thumbs up!

4/5

Music:
Total average. The drunk vodka music was not bad, but also not good. The rest of the film was OK, but nothing special.

3/5

Overall Rating:
Pretty entertaining. If the next movie has more typical Seagal Fights and some more cool One-Liners i can give 5 Points... Let's wait for The Keeper now ;-)

Ill give it 4/5
I agree with your review however, I do feel this is his best DTV release so far. The action is old school Seagal style, brutal and bloody. ;)
 

rastafari

Well-Known Member
#31
Littledragon;197262 said:
I agree with your review however, I do feel this is his best DTV release so far. The action is old school Seagal style, brutal and bloody. ;)
are you not reviewing the film littledragon
 
#33
my imdb review

Seagal plays Ruslan, who goes out for revenge where his
soon to be married daughter gets attacked by the Russian mafia. No one
can be truly trusted though and it's up to Ruslan to sort the mess
out.Even if the plot is nothing we haven't seen before Seagal tries to
play a character instead of another movie Seagal. He DOES speak with a
Russian accent which is pretty good, curses in Russian and even speaks
some..My only complaint is that in some scenes the accent suddenly
disappears but that doesn't happen often..The supporting cast is fine
nothing too special, you will see though the girl from Watchmen and the
Russian villain from Indianna Jones 4.Now for the action.It is
brilliant.You get tons of hand to hand fights, very well choreographed
and done by Seagal himself.Also they are much better shot than in Kill
Switch.One of the highlights is a knife fight which is as good as the
one in Under Siege.Yes you read that correctly. There are some shoot
outs and Seagal uses a variety of weapons to kill his oponments plus
there is also the action filled showdown.Plus Seagal finally runs in
one of his Dtv pictures while chasing a bad guy, and it's all Seagal
not a double.There is very little dubbing in some scenes.Also Seagal
gets a few cool one liners and even starts stretching before a fight
scene!As a whole this is one hell of a Seagal movie where he seems to
actually try and make a GOOD action film, in a time when all the former
action stars are delivering above average pictures(JCVD)..So
congratulations Steven, you're finally back! p.s. note funny Russian
music in some fightscenes..My only complaint though is that the movie
looked kind of cheap, one of the few advantages in doing movies in
Europe is that he got some amazing locales..
 
#34
It will be short but fair review. The story is like I llve the most - revenge story. The locations were very well selected. he music was very bad, don't know who selected this stupid tune for action scenes. The action scenes was great becouse Steven was making them all and very brutal. But again the editing was bad, but not so bad like in the KillSwitch (please don't make any more movies with this edition guy). Once again the movie could be the big come back but - music, editing and too much close filming fights. There was only one thing very bad in this. Fatal DUBBING......my score 4/5.
 

supertom

Disgruntled fan!
#38
Colour me disappointed! Driven To Kill (Ruslan's a better title), looked kind of vintage in the trailer. Sadly, it's another suckfest. The film is horrible. Not quite Kill Switch horrible, but horrible nonetheless. The trouble is, the plot, the cast, and the film in general, just doesn't engage in any way. Okay so Seagal fans generally won't be too bothered about a poor narrative, just as long as Big Papa kicks some A, which he does. There's a fair amount of action, but a lot of it is poorly filmed and more poorly edited. Like Kill Switch, the editing is bad. It's not crazy bad like KS, but it's still bad. The film just gives you a headache.

Probably the biggest problem, is the main man himself, Seagal. I don't like ragging on Seagal, because he da man, but he's just not putting in any effort in the majority of his films from the last 5 years (probably more). This is no different. Aside from the usual appearences by Mr stand in, Mr Stunt double, and Mr Dub-over, Seagal's biggest failing here, is the fact that nearly all his dialogue is inaudible. His Russian accent, consists of him mumbling quietly and inaudibly, which does little to help the already weak narrative. Seagal just looks crazy bored in this. There's nothing in the script to engage him. There's no sign of direction from Jeff King (who should change his first name to Wan), and as I said, the editing is very poor, as is the post production job on sound. Furthermore the cinematography is very bland.

Overall, this has plenty of action, without really much impressive choreography (nothing close to the fights in Pistol Whipped), and though the film has plenty of violence, it merely feels like an obnoxious cover up for anything remotely imaginitive in terms of action scenes or choreography. I mean, what happened to the days when Seagal fights looked downright awesome, and at the same time conceivable. See Out For Justice bar fight, Hard To Kill shop fight, or Mark For Death capture escape for example. Those were great. They were eye-catching yet realistic, and above all they were filmed wide, to show the audience everything. Good choreography and excellently performed by Seagal and the stunt crew. Now all we get is these tightly filmed, poorly thought out scraps, with no imagination, and in many shots, no Seagal.

The Keeper, looks a lot better. It helps firstly that it's got a director directing. Someone, though with a dodgy track record, shows sign of competence and an understanding of how each individual shot will affect the wider picture. Hopefully the production crew is a higher standard too. But Driven To Kill, is YET another poor offering from Seagal. *1/2. :mad:
 
#39
I know we are all entitled to our own opinions and most of your reviews I agree with you supertom, but I completely disagree with you. I really think you are not giving the credit in which this film deserves.

I will admit the plot felt a little dull and was a little stale, but this is some of Seagal's if not Seagal's best work for a dtv release in years. You can tell Seagal was more involved then he ever has been. The action and fight scenes were some of Seagal's best.

I really disagree with your review, maybe you expected so much more from the trailer that you were dissapointed in the end result. I agree I did expect much more, but I really believe you are not being fair to Seagal in this review. This film in my opinion is his best DTV release yet, classic Seagal action, fights, one liners. And to say it is a little better than Kill Switch, that is an understatement. It is a lot better than Kill Switch. Kill Switch to me is his WORST dtv release ever!

Driven To Kill is a great Seagal film, so far this is the ONLY negative review, and I believe if you watch it again with an open mind and understand that most of the fans look forward to the action and fight scenes, not A class acting, you'll be satisfied.

But I really feel you are too harsh on this film and do not agree with you review at all.

supertom;197283 said:
Colour me disappointed! Driven To Kill (Ruslan's a better title), looked kind of vintage in the trailer. Sadly, it's another suckfest. The film is horrible. Not quite Kill Switch horrible, but horrible nonetheless. The trouble is, the plot, the cast, and the film in general, just doesn't engage in any way. Okay so Seagal fans generally won't be too bothered about a poor narrative, just as long as Big Papa kicks some A, which he does. There's a fair amount of action, but a lot of it is poorly filmed and more poorly edited. Like Kill Switch, the editing is bad. It's not crazy bad like KS, but it's still bad. The film just gives you a headache.

Probably the biggest problem, is the main man himself, Seagal. I don't like ragging on Seagal, because he da man, but he's just not putting in any effort in the majority of his films from the last 5 years (probably more). This is no different. Aside from the usual appearences by Mr stand in, Mr Stunt double, and Mr Dub-over, Seagal's biggest failing here, is the fact that nearly all his dialogue is inaudible. His Russian accent, consists of him mumbling quietly and inaudibly, which does little to help the already weak narrative. Seagal just looks crazy bored in this. There's nothing in the script to engage him. There's no sign of direction from Jeff King (who should change his first name to Wan), and as I said, the editing is very poor, as is the post production job on sound. Furthermore the cinematography is very bland.

Overall, this has plenty of action, without really much impressive choreography (nothing close to the fights in Pistol Whipped), and though the film has plenty of violence, it merely feels like an obnoxious cover up for anything remotely imaginitive in terms of action scenes or choreography. I mean, what happened to the days when Seagal fights looked downright awesome, and at the same time conceivable. See Out For Justice bar fight, Hard To Kill shop fight, or Mark For Death capture escape for example. Those were great. They were eye-catching yet realistic, and above all they were filmed wide, to show the audience everything. Good choreography and excellently performed by Seagal and the stunt crew. Now all we get is these tightly filmed, poorly thought out scraps, with no imagination, and in many shots, no Seagal.

The Keeper, looks a lot better. It helps firstly that it's got a director directing. Someone, though with a dodgy track record, shows sign of competence and an understanding of how each individual shot will affect the wider picture. Hopefully the production crew is a higher standard too. But Driven To Kill, is YET another poor offering from Seagal. *1/2. :mad:
 
#40
well i think Steven was very involved with the film..the fact that not only did he speak with a Russian accent but even learnt Russian for the role should prove my point...but the film looked cheap ill give you that